Remember the movie Avatar or Minority Report? They were the few instances that took us beyond reality. It showcased how the virtual and real worlds could merge to create incredible, immersive environments.
This world is growing to be truer and nearer. It is no longer a Sci-Fi film that you wish were true. It is the truth of the modern world. But you will notice that it is still in the nascent stage.
With more people preferring to access products or services remotely, several businesses have started adopting Augmented Reality or Virtual Reality to bolster growth. Applications with VR are growing popular.
There are approximately 65.9 VR users in the US alone. Most people wish to maximize their reach and get more customers as it is still in the foundational stages. WebVR has the potential to be platform agnostic and gain more visibility for your business.
While there are potential limitations, including the inability to produce a 360-degree view, you might notice a certain benefit associated with the application.
This guide will take you through the advantages of web VR and how to use ThreeJS to create a VR application.
What is WebVR?
It is 360-degree dynamic content that you can access through a web page. It could be accessed as a pop-up, separate URL, or content embedded on a page. However, it is not an application that you need to download to access. It is more like live-streaming content.
You cannot access this content offline. Moreover, it is specifically designed for the images. Several incredible features can help you plan the webVR better.
How to Create WebVR Application?
This part of blog will guide you through the appropriate steps to create a web VR application for your business.
- Choose the type of webVR application you are planning. For instance, are you planning a web page or a pop-up for the content?
- Select the tool that can help you create the WebVr application. You can use the features within the tool to develop exquisite experiences. Ensure you mention the few things you need in the application before selecting the tool.
- Do you want an application that is full-screen and standalone?
- Do you wish to embed the application or file into the web page?
- Do you want a web page that doesn’t open fully?
The tool will fit the specifications and help you deliver the package.
- Plan the customizations while you are working on the WebVR application. For instance, you can create a scene list for a particular application. Similarly, think through the auto rotation for the application. If that is something that can add content to your business application, you can use it.
- Make sure you determine ways to get more people to view the application. You should identify the features that can help you in this case.
Let’s look at a few use cases for the WebVR application.
- You can use WebVR to promote your business application. A simple pop-up with a 360-degree view will give an insight into your business app.
- You can create a marketing campaign using the WebVR solution.
- If you want to give a real estate tour or need them to look at your real estate, you should opt for the WebVR solution.
ThreeJS is a great language to build your WebVR application.
Using ThreeJS with WebVR
ThreeJS is a great library to build your VR applications. You can create the WebVR solution using this library.
It is the most subscribed library by developers for ThreeJS applications. Some tools and solutions help with VR application development.
If you were using the earlier version, you might need to import additional files like vrEffect.JS and VRControls.JS to create the VR solution. However, the latest version has removed this need.
- You will need to create the WEbVR API. For this, you must use VRDisplay from the browser. You can use the setting for VRDisplay to create the solution.
- With this setting, you can directly access the API and ensure it doesn’t meddle with the other files.
- The VRDisplay setting will allow you to display the VR scene on the browser directly. You must check if the browser supports the WebVR solution.
You must check all integrations that you need before you commit to creating a solution with ThreeJS.
- You need a camera support for this. The camera integration with the said application is essential, as that will help enhance the scene.
- You should determine how you wish to add the camera and rotation to make the scene enhance the 360-degree view.
- You should use the command SetAnimationLoop in the case of animation which will help you create the animations within the application.
The virtual universe is expanding, and immersive experiences are crucial for business success. You can deliver exceptional experiences when you work with VR, as they cater to connecting the real to the virtual.
You will need an expert ThreeJS developer to channel their efforts into building a solid WebVR application for your business.
Nishant Bijani is a passionate and knowledgeable CTO and co-founder who delivers customized solutions that exceed customer expectations. He stays up-to-date with industry advancements and is dedicated to engineering, innovation, and customer satisfaction.